October 3, 2008
The graph to the right shows the trend over three years, but what we are seeing over a longer time period is that statewide, the unemployment rates have now clearly eclipsed the rate which was reached during the lows of 2002-2003.
Locally, the story is a little different. While unemployment rates continue to rise here, we are still a ways off from reaching the type of situation we faced in 2002-2004, though our current unemployment rate has now reached a four-year high. In the San Jose-Santa Clara-Sunnyvale MSA, the unemployment rate now stands at 6.6%. In the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont MSA, it stands at 6.2%.
- California and Silicon Valley Unemployment Rate Numbers
- 533K Layoffs Nationwide in November; California, Silicon Valley Unemployment Rate Update
- Silicon Valley Unemployment Hits Double Digits; California at 10.5%
- Heading North – CA Unemployment Up To 12.5%; Santa Clara County 11.9%
- California Unemployment Rate Hovers at 12.4%